$185
$700

Teachers’ holiday break plans

The moment winter break begins, most of us leave as quickly as possible to begin our holiday plans. While staying at home and sleeping or taking a family trip might be one of your answers to the many break-centered Do Nows, what about the people who make those Do Nows? What will they be up to during winter break? 

To preface this first teacher, let me say this was one of the most elaborate plans I have ever heard. Starting off strong (and cold), social studies teacher Robert Geremia will be taking a trip up to New England to see his family for Christmas and attend a Christmas Eve celebration in Cape Cod. Then, he will travel to New York to catch a flight with a nine hour layover in Miami, where he hopes to see friends and maybe even a glimpse of the beach. Geremia is then switching up the scenery completely with a New Years trip to Buenos Aires, Argentina, where he will be spending his birthday two days after Christmas. So if you’re one of Geremia’s students, make sure to wish him a happy birthday through the Canvas inbox (though he probably will be too busy to check). After his time in Argentina, he flies back to Miami for a night before returning to DC, assumingly wiped after his whirlwind of a break. 

One teacher who is staying local is US History teacher, Matthew Burgoyne. Burgoyne plans to stay home, decompress and separate from school. Eating good food, reading, and enjoying time with friends and family are at the top of his list of activities for break. Staying true to his promise of avoiding work, Burgoyne would like to make sure students know they will be getting blocked on Remind. 

English teacher Elsie Palmeri’s usual holiday plans involve spending time with her family in Providence, Rhode Island, but this year will be a bit different. After moving to a new neighborhood, she plans on hosting the holiday festivities at her new home. After the holidays are finished, she aims to pop out to either the Dominican Republic or Guatemala to get that “it girl” tan as she prefers to stay warm in these cold times. 

In between the hustle and bustle of this upcoming break, it’s fun to catch a glimpse of how our teachers will be spending their well-deserved time away from the classroom. From globe-trotting Geremia, to Burgoyne’s devotion to staying as removed from school as possible, and Palmeri’s tropical getaway, all of our teachers have some unique plans for how they will be spending their upcoming break.