$255
$700

Exercising in D.C.: Hot or Not?

The agonizing summer heat has made working out torture. So why does anyone even bother working out? Some people exercise to train for an upcoming season, maintain fitness, or to stare at their growing muscles whenever they pass a mirror. But regardless of their motivation, every exercise enthusiast in DC first has to overcome the heat.

DC humidity is no joke. Stepping outside to stretch before a run will result in buckets of sweat pouring down your back. And with the incredibly high UV rays, going out for a quick tennis match will have you back inside within the hour, vigorously applying aloe vera to your skin in the hopes of healing from the brutal sun. Many students resorted to using the Planet Fitness High School Summer Pass, which allowed HS students free entry for the entire summer. While students resorting to the gym beat the heat, they ended up needing to beat the scores of students crowding the weight racks as well. 

Another difficulty with working out in the searing heat is the lack of motivation. Why suffer outside when you can stay in your perfectly air-conditioned room and scroll through TikTok or watch a Netflix show? As easy as it can be to slack off, don’t have that “out of sight out of mind” attitude. Put on your favorite playlist or podcast to distract yourself, or picture that cool glass of water waiting for you as soon as you finish. But do not fear! We are at that point of the year where you can wear a sweater in the morning and end up regretting it in the afternoon. The best way to make the last of the hot and blistering workouts fly by is to stay hydrated, apply (and reapply) sunscreen, and to stay motivated. Keep in mind that fall and more enjoyable workouts are right around the corner!