$255
$700

A homage to Tenleytown’s kindest crossing guard

Jessica Serrano

If you have walked across the crosswalk at the intersection of Wisconsin and Albemarle on a school day morning, chances are you encountered Kimberly Printuess. Her kind greetings and welcoming smile make her hard to forget. With the end of the school year just around the corner, we decided to shine a spotlight on Printuess and appreciate all that she has done for the Jackson-Reed community as one of the fabulous employees of the DC Department of Transportation. As a veteran of 17 years, Printuess continues to serve the community by keeping us safe on the road. 

Q: Are you originally from DC?

A: “Oh yeah most definitely yes. I’m a “DCtonian”, yes.”

Q:How long have you been a crossing guard?

A: “7 years, just coming up on 8 years.”

Q:How long have you worked at this intersection?

A:“I have been out here a year but I was over at Deal which is Nebraska and Davenport, so six years. Then I came out here because my son goes to Jackson Reed, he’s in ninth grade so I asked to come here because they didn’t have a safety tech…I had to take some more training to come out here because I have to be more observant of all four corners.”

Q: What do you like to do for fun? 

A: “Oh shopping! I like to go to thrift stores and shopping, and do a lot of reading. Magazines, anything, newspapers—anything that you can get your hands on to read. It’s like staying in touch. You know what I’m saying, you’re in touch with the world then right?”

Q: What do you hope to bring to the community each morning? 

A: “Beautify and life … I want people to be happy. You walk and you talk [because] come on, that’s like a gift! Anytime I’m getting up it’s a good morning!” 

Q: What are some challenges that come with the job? 

A: ”Well you know in the afternoon when y’all get out of high school, it’s something else—it’s a whole different ball game in the afternoon. There’s a lot of things that are happening. A lot of kids get mixed up with American University kids because they’re 18… But overall it’s really wonderful, ya know?”

As we were speaking with Printeuss, her head was on a swivel making sure people were walking safely across the street as well as enthusiastically greeting the people who walked by. Coincidentally, a man walked up to her and handed her a gift card thanking her for being a positive member of the community. Next time you cross the intersection of Wisconsin and Albemarle, be sure to say hello and thank Printuess for keeping the neighborhood safe!