$255
$700

Five Nationals named to all star game

Four out of the nine players in the starting lineup for the National League in this year’s All-Star Game were Nationals. With one of the league’s most explosive offenses and best pitching staffs, it was no surprise that the Nats were so well-represented in Miami. Bryce Harper, Ryan Zimmerman, Daniel Murphy, and Max Scherzer all proudly sported their curly W’s as they trotted onto the field to begin the game. Stephen Strasburg also earned a spot on the NL roster, but was not able to play because of a pitching appearance he had a couple days prior to the event.

All five of the Nationals who were given all star nods were more than deserving. Harper, Zimmerman, and Murphy have all put up outrageous numbers this season. They are all hitting above .325 with at least 63 RBIs each. They have also all flashed their fair share of power, as Harper has 20 home runs, Zimmerman has 19, and Murphy has 14. Max Scherzer has followed up his Cy Young campaign with an equally impressive season thus far. He holds a 10-5 record with an ERA of just 2.10, and a whopping 173 strikeouts. Although Strasburg has not been quite as good as Scherzer, his greatness should not go overlooked, as his numbers are still on par with many of the game’s best pitchers. He has a solid 3.43 ERA, 128 strikeouts, and a phenomenal record of 9-3.

Even though five all-stars on one team is already ridiculous, the Nationals could have arguably had two more, which is proof of just how good the team’s roster is this year. Anthony Rendon and Gio Gonzalez are both having incredible under-the-radar seasons for the Nats. If their names were better known around the league, both of them would have been all stars for sure. Rendon one of the best defensive third basemen in the MLB, and he is also hitting .304 with 16 home runs and 54 RBIs. Gio had a 7-4 record before the break, and was additionally able to keep his ERA down at only 2.86. The Nats may have had a snub or two on their team, but it’s hard for their fans to complain about having five all star players and a comfortable first place lead.