$185
$700

Beloved Tenley restaurant recovers after robbery

On Monday, October 10, the 24-hour restaurant Steak ‘n Egg was robbed at gunpoint. The thief came into the diner late at night, and demanded the cash from the register as well as a phone from a customer. A shot was fired, but thankfully, it missed. The manager, Justin Anderson, reported, “We have definitely upped our security and the cops…are helping us out.”

Steak ‘n Egg’s motto is, “If you’re hungry, we’re open.” Keeping true to their saying, the restaurant has stayed open despite the traumatizing robbery. The family-run business has been operating since 1993; they have only been closed for a total of 13 days, all for renovations.

Anderson has witnessed a variety of people come in and out their doors in his time working at the breakfast and burger joint. “There’s been actors that came in, there’s been singers, rappers…[from] Adam Sandler to…Rob Snyder…to football players that play for the Redskins and Ravens…just so many interesting things that happen throughout the whole entire day.”

Some people that come in, however, are not as fun to have in the restaurant, as Anderson explained. “Drunk customers,…people on drugs…every single day is different…you never know what the next day [will] bring.” From this, Anderson has learned how to remain patient and deal with the “interesting” customers.

Anderson has been working at Steak ‘n Egg since he was 10 years old, and is now 22. He described the restaurant as “the place in the neighborhood that everyone knows, where everyone comes.” As someone who eats at the restaurant every day, he recommends the steak, egg, and cheese on a bagel with home fries, the Philly Cheese Chicken with provolone and cheddar, and the burgers to any potential customers. Come to Steak ‘n Egg on 4700 Wisconsin Avenue at any hour of the day, any day of the year, and they will be open!

PHOTO COURTESY OF WIKIMEDIA COMMONS