$255
$700

Black History Month movie review: Fresh Dressed

The documentary Fresh Dressed, featured on Netflix, is not your average hip-hop or style documentary but the perfect mix of both. Directed by Sacha Jenkins, the 2015 documentary analyzes the progression of fashion in African American culture. With commentary from various musical artists and fashion influences such as Kanye West, Damon Dash, Pharrell Williams, Sean “Puffy” Combs, and Andre Leon Talley, fashion in hip hop and ‘urban’ style is examined as symbol of liberation, authenticity and aspiration. In 82 minutes, the dots between slavery, black-church culture, gangs, faux-designer items and brands like Sean John, Ecko, and Public School are connected. Jenkins perfectly covers the influence and history of Black fashion, specifically how the terms “streetwear” and “urban fashion” and the ‘look’ surrounding them came about and were opposed by the mainstream fashion industry and white suburban retailers. For those who are obsessed with classic Adidas, Run DMC or are looking for style inspiration, this documentary is for you.