$255
$700

Track Team Travels to Penn Relays

BY ISAAC FRUMKIN, JUNIOR EDITOR

This past weekend, the track team was busy running all over the East Coast. On Wednesday, a select 10 members of the team traveled up to Philadelphia for the Penn Relays. Dating back to 1895, the Penn Relays is the oldest recorded track competition and is hosted annually by the University of Pennsylvania. It has become a prestigious meet for teams from all across the country.

After grabbing dinner Wednesday night, the team embarked on a two and a half hour ride to  Philadelphia. The team woke up early the next morning for a shake out run and a light breakfast. Druex Collins, Sydney Johnston, Quinn Wright, and Xabriah Young-Glenn started the meet off for Wilson in the 4×100 relay. The girls, of which Collins is the only senior, finished 113 place out of a field of 247.  They will certainly be back next year looking to improve their time. Several hours later, Collins was joined by Asia Amis,  Lindsay Cunningham, and Jordan Dean in the 4×400 relay.

On Friday, the team returned to Penn for the boys 4×100 relay. On the boys’ side, seniors Chris Askew, Paul Jackson, Sean Robinson, and Steve Sneed ran a fast time of 44.71 to finish in 75th place out of 256 teams. With that time, they are shaping up to be  serious contenders at the DC Championships in late May.

After the boys race, the 10 runners and Coach Dunham headed down I-95 to Newport News, Virginia to join the rest of the team. In order to loosen up for the Real Deal Track Classic the next day, the team took a trip to play Laser Tag. Upon their return, they had a quick team dinner and reported to sleep for an early 7:30 departure the next morning.

Sean Robinson started off the day for Wilson with a fourth place finish in the high jump. Not long after, sophomore Sean Savoy secured a silver in the long jump out of a field of more than 50 athletes. Steve Sneed seemed to have the gold in the bag with long jump of over 21 feet, but his toe barely crossed the line and his jump was waived off as a foul. Chris Askew broke his personal best in the triple jump with a jump of 41 feet 5 inches, giving him fourth place. For the girls, Mayim Lehrich took home the bronze in the mile and Arrington Peterson took the bronze in the 800m. Not to be outdone, the girls 4×800 relay team captured a gold medal.

But the highlight of the meet for Wilson came in the form of junior Drew Glick. In the mile race, Glick entered the last lap in a respectable 14th place out of 87. Glick blew by 10 runners in the last lap and finished with a blazing time of 4:38. To wrap up his day, Glick secured a first-place finish in the 800m, running it in just over two minutes and leading the race from start to finish.

With the impressive weekend, Wilson is looking sharp heading into their last month of the season. Coming up for the Tigers is the DCIAA Championship on May 14 and the DCSAA Championship starting on May 20. Looking for revenge after a disappointing end to the indoor season, Wilson aims to end the 2015 season strong.

PHOTO COURTESY OF CHRIS ASKEW