$255
$700

Twitter Reacts to Snowy School Day

Twitter Reacts to Snowy School Day

BY ELIAS BENDA, OPINIONS EDITOR

dcpssnowdaytweets

Across the District today, students awoke to a fresh, clean blanket of snow.The obvious reaction by high schoolers across the city was “No school!” (which in hindsight seems a logical conclusion with three and a half inches of snow). Yet, as people turned on their TVs, got on their phones, and logged into social media, the reality was a surprising one.

“All DCPS schools are open today (1/6) on time as scheduled.” read the DCPS twitter page at 6:27 this morning. No cancellation, not even a delay.

As with every day snow falls on DC and school remains in session, the reaction by students and community members expressed online is a sight which rivals the beauty of the morning snow. 

Here are just some of the community responses:

@_taliawrites

@dcpublicschools no chill today? ok so when everybody late still bc of this snow ya’ better act right.

@x__TickleMePink

@dcpublicschools people are having a hard time driving and metro buses are getting stuck. Y’all can’t give us a delay?!

@CharleyxCharley

@dcpublicschools give us a delay at least

@VerballyArmed

@dcpublicschools But there should have been a 2 hour delay!! All the teachers are late because of the weather. Bad call!!

@DionneMikia

@dcpublicschools: All DCPS schools are open today (1/6) on time as scheduled.” Y’all Are Petty

@demithedancer

@dcpublicschools: All DCPS schools are open today (1/6) on time as scheduled.” I HAVE FROST BITE ON MY TOES NOW HOW YALL GONNA ACT?!

@Simplicity_OE

@dcpublicschools: All DCPS schools are open today (1/6) on time as scheduled.”
Why you gotta do them like that

‏@mattfwood

Past years, a bad forecast would close @dcpublicschools. Today, roads unplowed, cars spinning out, buses canceled, BUT no delay? @TeamMuriel

@__tarzann 

@dcpublicschools f*ck that
My bed to warm

@wyetthasspoken

@dcpublicschools: All DCPS schools are open today (1/6) on time as scheduled.” Sick as sh*t

Obviously, there was some uncertainty in the decision Kaya Henderson, Muriel Bowser, and the DC Government made. With many streets (including Connecticut Ave.) unplowed in the early morning, and with many buses unable to run and delays on the metro, many students had difficulty or were unable to get to school, especially on time.

With this little “fiasco” under their belt on the second day of the new DC government and Mayor Bowser, maybe in the future their decisions will be more considerate of what the people have to say.