$985
$1500

Effects of racial disparities remain in DC schools

During the “separate but equal” era of education before the landmark Brown v. Board of Education decision in 1954, DC had seven all-white high public schools. Meanwhile, people of color were taught in overcrowded, underfunded, sparsely located public schools. 

By the 1970s, more than 90% of students in DCPS were Black. Today, only three high schools in DCPS have a sizable white population. As Jackson-Reed students, we take pride in the diversity in our school, however, we often forget that many other schools in DC never really “integrated”.

Following Bolling v. Sharpe, DC’s companion case in the Supreme Court to Brown, public schools in DC were mandated to comply with desegregation. By declaring DC laws that segregated students unconstitutional, Sharpe sought to dismantle the legal frameworks that instituted segregation in all parts of DC and move for a more inclusive educational system.

Of course, this legal victory struck fear into racists, who then engaged in white flight to the suburbs, and the expansion of divisionary private/charter schools in DC.

As reported by The Beacon in October 1980, Jackson-Reed (then Wilson) saw a significant change in its demographic over time. Between 1955 and 1980, the 99% white student body dropped to 17% white. As this change occurred within a short 15-year period, new private schools, like Georgetown Day School and Washington International School, started opening in the surrounding area, while existing private schools, like St. John’s College High School and Maret School, revitalized their spaces to accept an increased enrollment. 

The District at this time also saw the biggest case of white flight in its history, with over HALF of whites in the city migrating to the surrounding suburbs, which are now majority-white dominated.

The outcome of white flight after Sharpe has led to noticeable differences in the quality of education between private and public schools in DC, as wealthy families with children in private schools advocate and successfully enact tax cuts, that in their opinion, are justified since their kids aren’t enrolled in DCPS. Subsequently, privileged leaders in DC and Congress routinely enact policy that ends up defunding DCPS, further increasing racial division as public schools gain reputations of being “poor”. We can see this systemic problem continuing with the current proposed budget cuts coming this year.

We can, over time, dismantle continued segregation, by investing heavily in public school expansion. Across the District, increased investments will allow for clear changes in the quality of education within public schools.

While the diversity at JR is a cause for celebration, it’s essential to also acknowledge underlying challenges that have persisted in DC schools. Racial tension, white flight, and systemic inequalities are still evidently present and demand continued efforts toward fostering a truly inclusive educational environment in DC. •