A sophomore’s perspective on taking a college-level class

In a program catered to high school seniors, taking college classes through dual enrollment while still navigating Jackson-Reed as a sophomore was unlike anything I have ever experienced. By bridging the gap between high school and college, dual enrollment not only challenges students academically but also fosters a smoother transition into the collegiate environment. 

Though there are many possible ways to experience dual enrollment, my college experience was online as the school I attended (Bard University) is located in Upstate New York.From 6:00 to 7:30 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, I buried my nose in online textbooks listening attentively to lectures over a Zoom call–a blast from the past of our pandemic virtual education. 

One of the most interesting aspects of my Social Psychology dual enrollment class was the fact that much of my grade rested in three-page papers that became self-analyzing rants in which I examined every choice I’ve made and why I’ve made them. This strange form of therapeutic journalism was able to be turned in for a grade, and topics ranged from my intense stress about my upcoming exam in Microeconomics or even my intense loathing for the character arc that is “Yale Rory” on the show “Gilmore Girls.” While grading these submissions, my teacher would leave comments explaining how I had either made her laugh or concerned for my well-being.

One of the less enticing realities of the class was that my DCPS schedule didn’t always align with my Bard schedule. Several times, when DCPS was off of school and most Jackson-Reed students were enjoying a class-free day, I was sulking behind the computer. The most eventful of these occurrences was the day before Thanksgiving, when my family and I made the five hour car trip to meet my family for the holiday. It became particularly hard to focus on my lecture with our bags rolling back and forth with the sway of the car in the trunk, my Mom and Dad singing Mötley Crüe’s Dr. Feelgood at the top of their lungs in the front seat, my brother fiddling with the window controls as he announced his need for a rest stop every five minutes, and my ginormous, road trip-hating dog panting anxiously over my shoulder from the back seat. The colorful combination of chaos was fully displayed when it came time for me to unmute to earn participation credit for the day.

Another incident similar to this occurred in my fall semester, where my Social Psychology course conflicted with my participation in Jackson-Reed’s fall play: She Kills Monsters. As we neared the last few weeks leading up to the play, rehearsal ran into class, and then past it. Frequently, I had my script in one hand, my computer in the other, and headphones in my ears. 

By the time we reached our invited dress rehearsal, I was logged onto class in full make-up, including rhinestone bedazzled eyelids, my white, floor-length gown, and a golden tiara to complete the costume. Our successful dress rehearsal was far more chaotic behind the scenes as I ran back and forth from the stage to my lecture on the Cognitive Dissonance Theory.

Despite quite a few chaotic class experiences, dual enrollment is an opportunity I would highly recommend to any Jackson-Reed student who is interested. If non-senior students feel that it is in their capacity to handle a college course on top of their eight courses at Jackson-Reed, I believe that dual enrollment is an exceptional opportunity for all students. As a sophomore in the program, I have gained an infinitely better understanding of the course subject of social physiology, an informative look into the structure of a college course, I’ve made memories that will certainly stick with me, and I have had an experience that I believe has furthered me onto a productive academic path.