DC Community Service Opportunity: Learn about neurodiversity with DC Peers

DC Peers is looking for more high school students who are interested in learning about neurodiversity and about themselves, and want to help us make our schools and communities more inclusive and accepting of neurodiversity.* In our Neurodiversity Workshops, all students get community service hours for participating in our discussions and role-plays of teenage social norms, expectations, and challenges, and the misunderstandings and awkward moments created by differences in brain wiring, perceptions, and assumptions. You don’t need experience with any of these topics, just curiosity, open-mindedness, and willingness to share your perspective. We’ll meet every other Monday from 4-5:30pm in our office at 5028 Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 100, Washington DC 20016, from February 12 through May 20, plus possible participation in a Neurodiversity Roundtable, date TBA.

*“Neurodiversity” is a term that has helped folks recognize neurological differences, like autism, ADHD, dyslexia, etc., as part of a valuable diversity in the human community, to be understood and welcomed rather than “fixed.”

Scan here for more information — we start on February 12th!