Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Emphasizing the break in winter break

Louise Rasevic

Close your eyes and picture your winter break reality; you look outside your window to see a beautiful crisp snowfall, holiday music is playing and everyone is running outside to enjoy the snow. You can smell hot chocolate in the distance and your excitement is rising. You’re starting to get up from your couch to put on your jacket and gloves, and then BAM! You remember you have to do your 30-part DeltaMath. 

Teachers and students alike are itching for a worry-free break. People are dealing with enough stress during the holidays when your crazy cousins are in town and the special edition Nike shoes your brother is begging for keeps selling out in two minutes (definitely not a real example). The last thing anyone wants to be worrying about is homework. 

When a staff member says, “You need to do homework so you won’t forget class material,” do they not realize students will forget the material regardless? An unmotivating homework assignment, will not keep students’ skills sharp, but a two-week brain break will!

Having homework during break doesn’t just concern students. No one deserves a break like the overworked and underpaid JR teachers. Teachers: you already do more than enough, realistically your break will consist of grading late work that was plopped on your desk at 3:29 on December 21. Why add another assignment to that pile? 

A true homework-free break will not only refresh students, but anyone who doesn’t assign work will develop the status of “the cool teacher who didn’t give us homework during break!” Teachers, you could even use the no homework reputation to your advantage. Is a student complaining about a heavy workload in January? At least they didn’t have to complete any packets during winter break! 

If teachers hear this cry, your winter dreams can become a reality. Go build that snowman! Sleep in until 4:00 pm! Everyone deserves to have a week to do absolutely nothing.