Please help us cover our annual operations cost!

Girls’ Varsity Soccer Team advances to DCSAA semifinals after beating St. John’s Cadets

Following a disappointment-filled DCIAA championship loss to School Without Walls, the Jackson-Reed girls’ varsity soccer team marched into the first round of the DCSAA tournament determined to start off strong. 

The Tigers did just that, upsetting the St. John’s Cadets in the first round 2-0 and claiming a victory against the Cadets for the first time since the 2015 DCSAA championship.  

“Going into this game we had something to prove and we all knew that,” senior captain Kinzly Gootman said. “The feeling was different in the beginning of the game and every single player did their job and left their all on the field.”

In their regular season matchup, the Cadets beat the Tigers 3-0  while dominating the second half when all three goals were scored. Yet, the Tigers did not let this loss affect their mentality. “We realized that they had weaknesses just like every team and having played them, we understood what would work and what wouldn’t,” Gootman said. 

The Tigers came out strong this time and controlled possession, with their first goal of the game coming in the first 15 minutes off of Rowan McCrary’s left foot. Despite the Tigers’ early momentum, the Cadets came roaring back and created more opportunities of their own for the remainder of the first half. However, they would never find the back of the net and the score remained 1-0 going into halftime. 

While the Tigers were thrilled with their 1-0 lead at half, they knew they were not in the clear just yet. “I was feeling pretty confident and a little nervous, but I knew deep down we could keep the lead if we kept up the way we were playing,” senior forward Samantha Gordon said. 

The Tigers returned to the field utilizing a stronger defensive game plan in the second half, determined to not let the Cadets taste even a glimmer of hope; and with both teams coming out locked in to start the second half, neither broke away or seized control of the game. “We played a low block, so as to not get beat one on one and fall apart,” junior captain Rowan McCrary said. However, after a goalless and physical first 25 minutes of the second half, the Tigers broke through again. With McCrary’s second goal of the game, the Tigers increased the score to 2-0 and all but crushed the hopes of a St. John’s comeback. “My goals were a result of the team and the defending that we did to keep St. John’s out and ourselves up,” McCrary added. 

As the final whistle blew, the Tigers’ bench stormed the field and the celebration was on. “I feel so happy and thankful for my teammates. We locked in when we needed to,” Gordon said.  

While the Tigers are relishing their win now, they know they are not done. A second round match-up against School Without Walls awaits them Friday and they are determined to come out on top this time around. “We are extremely happy and proud of ourselves but the job is not finished,” Gootman concluded.