$185
$700

New wave of tech changes outlook of learning

Chloe Helms

Due to COVID-19, the development of technology for education and instruction has changed. Sites, companies, and programs like Canvas, Clever, and Google Classroom have been integrated into our school system and learning approaches. We believe that these improvements have been beneficial for students learning in and out of the classroom, and technology should be supported, not banned. 

With technology in the classroom, there is instant access to a vast amount of information and resources. Conducting research has become much easier because educational materials that may not be available in textbooks have become much more accessible. Students often prefer using these digital tools rather than keeping up with their work on paper. Classroom technology teaches computer and tech literacy skills for future jobs involving computers, email, or online submission deadlines.

Also, due to DCPS making technology accessible to everyone, we are able to complete assignments not having to worry about out of date or inaccurate text books and other sources. That way we are getting the most up to date information without needing to spend the money on paper textbooks every few years. In addition to this they school provided technology allows people without access to school supplies to have a place to do school work. These skills are instrumental in higher education and career preparation.

Unfortunately, a few obstacles have been presented due to this new technology. Teachers feel as though AI is responsible for their students’ work and plagiarism is becoming a bigger problem as educational technology progresses. While using computers to take notes or research topics, oftentimes students will copy and paste instead of reading carefully and absorbing the material.

However, teachers and administrators have been working to fix some of these problems by putting up filters and firewalls that prevent students from accessing sites deemed distracting or misleading. This aims to help kids stay focused and on task in this new way of learning.