$185
$700

Can movie adaptations of books live up to the original?

When I read a book, each page is an image in my mind. Over the years, many different film studios have tried to capture these images by taking them from print to the screen. When I read a book, a specific picture floats through my thoughts, and when a movie adaptation does not capture these expectations, it can absolutely ruin the movie. It’s rare to see those images brought to life, and even less so to see it done well. Let’s take a look at the ones who defy the odds. 

To start it off strong, The Hunger Games is one of the most iconic adaptations of all time. It was a rare case of a movie perfectly capturing the characters’ personalities and emotions, with some saying it painted the picture even better than the books. The movie series stars Jenniffer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, a casting that is rivaled by none. The use of realistic editing and CGI captured the dystopian theme of the book. The movie keeps the watcher captivated and thrilled the entire way through, allowing for the perfect watch at any time 

However, there are quite a few movies that just barely miss the cut. For example, Twilight is a forever  iconic movie, but is a little too corny to be considered perfection. The movies follow a questionable and unrealistic story of werewolves and vampires-something many would laugh at. Despite this, they managed to make the movie captivating enough to capture a loyal audience. 

While many movies have become classics and forever named some of the best, some books to movies have been quite a letdown.

The most recent one on our minds is Red White and Royal Blue. This book was incredibly popular and when the movie was announced, it immediately became a watch many were looking forward to. Yet, once it was released, the film immediately was a letdown. The adaptation didn’t meet any of its hype and was beyond difficult to watch. When thinking of all the  cinematic masterpieces that have come from books, this one misses the mark. Although it is expected for the plot to be shortened as the book becomes a movie, Red White and Royal Blue omitts major essential aspects of the book, leaving viewers un-captivated and bored. 

It is very easy to make or break a movie based on a book. And it is even harder to complete the transformation. When it does defy the odds, its a definite must watch in our books!