$220
$700

Overcrowding affects more than just hallways and security lines

Now that the first few weeks of school have passed, students have reacclimated to the rhythms of the school day as classwork, homework, and tests pick up. Jackson-Reed is a densely populated school, meaning classes won’t be small and there are limits on the amount of one-on-one time teachers can give students. 

This year, some classes are so overcrowded that they are reaching totals of over 30 students. This negatively impacts students as they may receive less individual attention from teachers and have a harder time shaping their individuality.

Large class sizes are hard on teachers, as managing a class that is meant to have only 20-25 kids can be stressful as there are more kids that need the teachers attention. It is also harmful to the students’ learning, making it harder to get support from teachers when there are over 30 other kids that need their help as well. Between the lesson and classwork, there is limited time to talk to your teacher during class, and it’s even more limited due to the amount of kids that have the same concerns as you. 

On top of that, there can be an increase in behavioral issues with larger class sizes, which takes away from instructional time and opportunities to ask questions. The behavioral issues that you see in every class create an environment that makes it harder for some students to focus in class and for teachers to control their classes.

In addition to lost time, when classes are so large, teachers may have limited ability to personalize the learning experience for the students. Teachers have a harder time being able to take into account our learning styles and include our specific interest in the lessons. This has the potential to create a less engaging environment in classes and create a space where we have little creativity, room to solve our own problems, and motivation to go above and beyond. 

While having smaller classes may not make everyone better students and interested in every aspect of school, classes of over 30 students may prevent us from excelling in class. The four years we spend in high school are crucial to the next chapters of our lives. Class sizes should not have to get in the way of building relationships with teachers, having the space to ask questions, and feeling confident in what we do in class which ultimately shapes who we are, our interests, and our pursuit of learning.