$185
$700

Staggered Entrance: Sleeping in isn’t the only benefit

Molly Troy

For the first two days of the 2023-24 school year, Jackson-Reed implemented a staggered start. This process started last year, with upperclassmen missing the first two periods and coming in after lunch. While this was helpful for shortening lines and limiting chaos, having students miss their first two periods was unnecessary. 

This year, the school implemented a new schedule for a staggered start, with underclassmen beginning school at 9:00 and attending all four periods, while upperclassmen start at 10:25 and only attend three periods, missing their first class. We believe that this new system is not only beneficial for freshmen who are entering a new environment, but returning students also benefit from shorter lines when entering. 

We remember coming into the building on our first day with the overwhelming, seemingly-never ending line going down the block as students tried to get into school. As a freshman, coming to Jackson-Reed was already intimidating enough, but waiting in line for 40 minutes left more time for anxiety and nerves to build before even entering the building. With a staggered start, shorter lines allow students to enter the building faster, creating a more efficient and less stress-inducing experience. 

Our school takes up two whole blocks and is made up of five buildings, so it can be super confusing to navigate if you don’t know your way around. On the first day of our freshman year, there was no staggered start and all 2000+ kids entered the building at the same time. Furthermore, coming back from online school meant half the student body had never been in the building. We got so lost trying not only to navigate the school but also finding our way around thousands of other students. With a staggered start, freshmen will have a much easier time finding their classes and easing into high school than they would if we all arrived at the same time.

From another perspective, staggered arrival means upperclassmen miss both their first periods for two days. However, these first days are full of icebreakers and introductory information for the classes. Although this might be a challenge for both students and teachers because upperclassmen are a day behind in their first period classes, the first two days are not nearly as crucial for upperclassmen, who are already familiar with their peers and environment.

Ultimately, having a staggered arrival is beneficial for students when starting their first two days of school. Without a staggered start, the beginning of the school year would be far more stressful and intimidating than needed. Jackson Reed should keep staggered arrival for future years, as it is imperative in creating a welcoming and stress-free environment for all students.