$220
$700

Into the Woods review

The Jackson-Reed theater department finished producing its fantastic rendition of Into the Woods this month! The show, originally written by James Lapine and adapted by director and performing arts teacher Daniel Iwaniec, combines iconic childhood fairytales into one unique story.

Immediately upon entering the Black Box Theater, we knew the show was going to be good. The set was outstanding, with clouds of fog encircling the audience and vines hanging down all around the room. Before the musical started, actors interacted with the audience, performing comedy skits, and giving viewers a sense of what was to come. They even asked for the audience to participate, keeping viewers engaged and excited for the upcoming act! 

Once the show started, we were instantly immersed into the worlds of Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, and Rapunzel. Although we were already familiar with their stories, the cast did a great job of making their narrative feel fresh and entertaining.

The play took place in the Black Box Theater, making the show feel special in comparison to past performances in the auditorium. The cast was not limited to performing on just the U-shaped stage, but rather all over the Black Box, giving us a 360 view of the actors. To see one of the cast members sing a song right next to you rather than on the stage, made the experience that much better. The immersive space made us feel like we were too, In the Woods.

The costumes also blew the audience away. The designs were authentic, elaborate, and overall well-made. Every cast member, no matter their role, had an exceptional costume that fit the older time period and their role. The portrayals of the animals were also unique. Rather than having the ensemble dress up as an animal, the cast ran around with cardboard cutouts, while still making them come to life with their acting. 

Not only were the costumes accurate to the time period, but so was the acting. The witch, played by Alex Cullins, transformed her voice to a more scary and mysterious tone. The princes (August Taylor and Giacomo Ban-Goodrich) used voices that asserted their authority, making themselves sound more royal and elegant, while the Wicked Step Sisters (Lucaya Navas and Isadora Groves) sounded rich and sassy. The production would not have been the same without such impressive acting.

Although it didn’t seem possible, the show continued to surprise with the live Jackson-Reed orchestra playing the music. The band was perfect and made the show feel special. We loved seeing our classmates play!

Congratulations to the Jackson-Reed theater department for putting on a fantastic show! Overall, the set was spectacular, the acting and costumes were amazing, and the show was engaging and entertaining. We can’t wait to see what kind of show they will put on next year!