$220
$700

Tiger Baseball: the road to success

Tariq Ali
TRIUMPHANT TIGERS -. From advancing to the DCSAA finals to continued dominance against DCIAA opponents, the Jackson-Reed Varsity Tigers have a lot to look forward to next season.

After capturing their 29th DCIAA baseball championship title, another run in states fell just short as the Jackson-Reed Tigers finished as runners up for the third year in a row.

Jackson-Reed finished the game with six errors and only three base hits as a group with Jacob Gerson being the lone run in the deflating loss for the Tigers. 

“You can’t win a ballgame with that many errors, and you can’t win without enough hits. That was the really big thing that took a dent on us, we didn’t put together the things it takes to win,” senior captain catcher Gabe Alexander stated. 

The Tiger’s baseball team entered the 2023 States playoff tournament after inciting a demolition derby throughout the DCIAA city tournament, crushing the McKinley Tech Trainers 14-0 in the Quarterfinals, Cardozo Clerks 13-0 in the Semifinals, and School Without Walls in the city Championship 6-0.

Advancing to the States tournament, the team collected an emphatic statement victory over the Maret Frogs on May 16 in the first round. The senior catcher Gabe Alexander, went 3 for 3 alongside senior right fielder Flynn Sullivan who contributed 2 for 3 at the plate with three runs batted in (RBI). 

Riding momentum, JR found themselves in position to knock off a crosstown rival: The Gonzaga Eagles. The Eagles had previously defeated the Tigers in the 2022 States Championship game with a final score of 4-2, but this time, the Tigers came out on top, winning 7-4.

The Tigers advanced to the DCSAA Championship looking for redemption against the St. Albans Bulldogs (25-9) after a March 30 regular season 9-5 loss.

JR started off sluggish, and when finally putting the potential winning pieces into place, it was a little too late. The Bulldogs jumped out to an early lead, and never looked back, steamrolling Jackson-Reed 6-1. 

“One day doesn’t define us, but the process was worth it all,” head coach Henry Martinez said.

Ultimately in baseball, you win some, and you lose some; the art of the game can present that sometimes. Senior center fielder Luka Komives emphasized, “I want the younger guys to pick up the fact that [baseball] is supposed to be fun and [even with the tough times] we’re one family.”  

In terms of a final remark on the season, the Tigers finished 24-7 overall.

“It was a good run, but it has been long,” sophomore shortstop Jackson Loomis said. “We did not come out on top, but we had fun… made a lot of memories, and strengthened a lot of relationships… that’s what it’s all about in the end.”

“This season was special, it was fun, we learned, and grew a lot,” Martinez said. “We were together through it all [with] the ups and downs. The future is bright for years to come.”

The Tigers enter the offseason with a goal of keeping the legendary streak of what is soon to be 30 years of winning baseball alive, but in addition adding a ‘24 DCSAA States championship to their collection as well.

Junior right-handed pitcher Casey Edwards concludes, “We’re coming for heads next season.”