MacArthur High School brings unprecedented change to Jackson-Reed

Much change is to come with the creation of the new MacArthur High School and a lot of it will affect Jackson-Reed. 

A new school requires new students, facilities, and teachers. These additions must come from somewhere, and sometimes that somewhere will be Jackson-Reed. With Jackson-Reed overcrowding being a main reason for the new school, along with the teacher turnover rate continuing to grow, some teachers have decided to make the switch. But what’s in it for them?

English teacher Danielle Warren plans to teach at MacArthur for the 2023-24 school year. She previously taught at smaller schools and wants to return to that size after teaching at Jackson-Reed for one year.

“With [MacArthur] being a smaller school and a smaller staff, I think that that gives a better chance for more in depth support for both staff and students.”

Warren continues, “I think it’s important for teachers to know students on a more independent level.” A more manageable teaching experience is a motivator for staff to part ways with the giant and possibly impersonal learning environment at JR.

There are many small schools in the district, however the unique establishing experience that MacArthur will bring was another incentive for Warren and others. “The opportunity to be a founding teacher is something that I didn’t really think I’d get to have. Starting a school and being there to help build the climate and the culture of the school is a really unique option,” Warren added.

Of course, a brand new school can’t be expected to be perfect, but Warren explains that’s not a concern: “All schools have their faults whether they’re starting or whether they’ve been around for years.” Teachers want a working environment that fits their needs, and in some cases MacArthur will be the perfect fit where Jackson-Reed falls short.