Crew team comradery leads to success

Conner Khovananth

STOTESBURY SUCCESS – The girls second varsity crew with their second place medals at the Stotesbury Regatta. The regatta took place on May 19 and 20 at the Schuylkill River in Philadelphia.

Norah Caplan, Sports Editor

From grueling five a.m. morning workouts to hours spent rowing the Potomac, the Jackson-Reed Crew team is no stranger to hard work. The team’s work ethic and discipline have led to an incredible season and impressive results including their latest regatta in Tennessee, with both the girls first varsity boat and the novice boys making it to the finals during the weekend of May 25th. 

To qualify, teams had to place in their respective state championships, a feat that both the top girls and boys varsity boats were able to accomplish. The top freshman boats for both genders also placed at states, allowing them to participate in the SRAA regatta as well.

Members of the Jackson-Reed crew team believe that their dedication and intense practice regimen helped prepare them for the Tennessee race. They credited their success to the determination and support demonstrated by their fellow rowers at every practice. Bronwen Holmes, a junior on the top girls varsity boat, emphasized that, “something that our coach tells us is to give our 100% even if we aren’t at 100%.” She continued, “Whatever your 100% is that day is what you give at practice. This team is the most determined group of people I’ve ever been around, and we push ourselves every day to get faster.” 

The team’s comradery and commitment to success have laid the groundwork for the results they have been able to achieve. Holmes’ boat placed sixth in the country after qualifying for the finals in preliminary heats, an amazing feat due to the sheer amount of teams that participated. 

Furthering the crew teams’ incredible successes, both the girls and boys top freshman boats are moving on to youth nationals which are set to take place June 8-11 in Sarasota, Florida.

A member of the girls freshman boat, Anna Yoder, highlights how the team’s passion and commitment helped contribute to their success. Yoder says, “I think what’s special about the team is the fact that we all really want to be there, and we all really want it. You have to love it to want it, and you have to love it to win.” This sentiment of hard work and persistence seems to sum up the Jackson-Reed crew team and their ability to compete at the highest level. 

The Jackson-Reed crew team has shown incredible diligence and success throughout the 2023 season and has surpassed even their own expectations.