Highlighting changes made to AP African American Studies

Addison Childre, Director of New Staff

The AP African American Studies (AP AAS) changed to remove the names of many important Black figures, and critical race theory from the curriculum. The changes also made more contemporary topics, like Black Lives Matter, optional.
AP ASS a pilot course, introduced to Jackson-Reed this year, was supposed to be a well established course that would allow students to rigorously explore the narratives that are rarely brought up in regular history classes.

Last school year Superintendent Kimberly Martin was able to work directly with Trevor Packer, Senior Vice President of Advanced Placement, to bring this course to Jackson-Reed. One of Martin’s primary goals as a principal was to develop a school that was focused on an anti-racist curriculum.

“The AP African American studies class really spoke to me as an opportunity to prioritize the voices of black and brown students at Jackson-Reed, through giving them an opportunity to engage in rigorous coursework around topics that are important and often missed in history courses,” Martin said. So when the course curriculum was changed she along with many were stunned.

As of now, DCPS has not made any recommendations as to what aspects of the now optional parts of the course should be taught.