Funding boosts COVID budget

Lily Carr, Web Executive Editor

Since 2020, Jackson-Reed has relied on Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief (ESSER), to fund various COVID related concerns. Brandon Hall explains what Jackson-Reed plans to do with the most recent round of funding.

In 2020, Congress passed COVID relief funding for schools nationwide, known as ESSER. Since 2020, DCPS has received $300 million of the nationwide funds over 3 rounds of funding. 

The first round, known as ESSER I, was authorized by the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act. DCPS received 22 million dollars to spend during the 2021-22 school year. Across DC, this round generally covered technology, supplemental programs, and staffing for DC public and charter schools. 

During the 2020-21 school year, Jackson-Reed’s main priority with the funding given through ESSER was COVID safety. “We were focused on more PPE supplies, custodial supplies, and more educational supplies, such as technology,” Brandon Hall, the strategy and logistics director at Jackson-Reed, said.

While Jackson-Reed sufficiently provided computers and mobile hotspots for students, the distribution of technology for teachers was more challenging, Danielle Krafft, chair of the science department, said. 

In the spring of 2021, when Jackson-Reed began to transition into hybrid learning, additional COVID measures were taken. Before returning to in-person learning, teachers were able to get the COVID vaccine.

The second round, referred to as ESSER II, was authorized by the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations (CRRSA) Act. DCPS received 87 million dollars to spend during the 2021-22 school year. Across DC, this funding covered technology for both students and educators. It also financed school-provided meals and in-person learning innovations, such as outdoor classrooms. 

During the 2021-22 school year, funding given through ESSER II was used in similar ways as it was during ESSER I. 

“As we return back into the building from the pandemic, we made sure that students have what they need and to keep them safe during a COVID environment,” Hall said. The need for COVID safety became extremely evident, leading Jackson-Reed to combine ESSER funding with the school’s separate budget. “ESSER funded specific resources and tools to enhance the Jackson-Reed experience for students and staff.” 

As this was the first full year back in person, Krafft said that substantially more PPE and sanitation equipment, was distributed than in the past year. Teachers also had access to a COVID leave, allowing more excused sick days to be covered by substitutes. “The COVID leave was something that teachers really needed because it hurts when you’re out for five days,” Krafft said. 

The third and current round of funding, known as ESSER III, was authorized by the American Recovery Plan (ARP) Act. DCPS received 195 million dollars for the 2022 through 2024 school years. Across DCPS, these funds plan to support school budgets, academic acceleration and social emotional learning. General  COVID support was also funded, which includes virtual learning, health staff, and contact tracers. 

Up until 2024, Jackson-Reed’s usage of the ESSER budget is still being decided. “[We plan to use ESSER] to pay for things that are needed to lift us back into a normal in person learning posture,” Hall said. This may include funding specific Jackson-Reed departments and certain instructional supplies. 

“A lot of the PPE and sanitizing elements that helped keep our environments clean has not yet been allocated to us this year,” Krafft said. The COVID leave was also taken away, leaving COVID sick days to be categorized and counted toward normal sick days. 

Despite any problems that may have occurred within the budget, Hall emphasizes the importance of out of school funding. “We now have the funds to aid us and give us back the loss that occurred over COVID.”