Jackson-Reed introduces cybersecurity pathway

Naomi Rea, Contributor

Jackson-Reed High School is selected as one in nine schools across the country to host JROTC Cyber Security courses.

Jackson-Reed High School was selected to host the new JROTC Cyber Security Course. The class, taught by Lieutenant Colonel O’Connor, is one of nine programs in the United States.

There are many reasons why O’Connor believes the school was selected to host the course. “We have a big J.R.O.T.C. program, and all around us are major companies. These companies heavily rely on cyber protection.” He said. O’Connor also notes the liaison with the FBI and the multiple guest speakers that will come in to talk to students throughout the school year. 

JROTC is a nation-wide program sponsored by the United States Armed Forces to help highschool students become better citizens and leaders.

These Cyber classes offer students interested in a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics) focused career, a space to hone their math and science skills. 

The new Cyber Security course is set to go across four consecutive years of instruction. It is designed to follow along with students as they go through high school. The first year mainly focuses on computer hardware, software troubleshooting and basic security. The second year focuses on installing, maintaining, and securing computer networks. The third year covers advanced security, and the fourth year is a capstone year focused on penetration testing

Penetration testing is a simulated cyber attack on computer software to uncover weaknesses in the security system.

The class covers different cybersecurity topics. On Wednesday, September 14, the class learned about email phishing attacks. Students looked for clues, to decipher if what they received was a legitimate email. If it wasn’t, they determined it was a hoax/phishing attack. 

The Cyber Security course offers numerous opportunities for jobs at tech companies, and possible connections for high school students, after completing the final year.

“There’s opportunities not just for jobs, but for scholarships, and doing additional work in the Cyber field. Many internships are available,” O’Connor said. Enjoyment, and students’ chance at success in their careers, are what he pushes for most. 

The entire course is aligned to CompTIA standards. CompTIA is the certification of industry standards for certifying IT professionals.

Cadet Vincent Cabico, a senior at Jackson-Reed, has a major leadership role in the cybersecurity courses. In J.R.O.T.C. He assists the staff in missions and oversees cyber operations.

“I feel excited about having the cybersecurity program because it’s a growing industry.” Cabico said. “As of today we are learning the importance of cybersecurity, types of cybersecurity threats, spotting cyber threats, and how to protect yourself online.” In the future, Cabico hopes for field trips to the Pentagon or FBI building.

O’Connor enjoys teaching the course because tt gives students options for a career that is in very high demand.

“Everyday in the news you see a different cyber attack. Some criminal enterprise out there, trying to hack in systems ransomware.” O’Connor said. “Students going into this field are going to be able to do something important, something meaningful.”•