DCPS pushes graduation date back

Alice Stillerman, Sports Editor

Last month, DCPS changed the graduation date for the Class of 2022 from June 18 to June 22. The event was initially set to be held at the Wilson stadium, and although the location is not finalized, Interim Principal Gregory Bargeman said that it will now likely be held at Audi Field. 

Following their graduation, many Wilson seniors often travel to various different beaches. With the sudden change of graduation date, some seniors’ beach weeks may be interrupted. 

Seniors have made many plans with their friends in advance, including senior Kenadi Burnett. She plans to begin her trip on June 23 meaning that while it will be a close cut, no major plans will have to shift. “As of now our plans are unaffected as long as the graduation date doesn’t get pushed back again,” Burnett said. 

She is excited about the change of location. “When they first announced graduation was going to be [at Wilson] it was kind of a bummer and a let down, I think Audi is a great place,” Burnett said. 

After seeing social media posts from last years’ seniors and their excitement, she is hoping for this year’s graduation to mirror last year’s.

Assistant Principal Ronald Anthony added that Wilson is negotiating with Audi Field to host it there again. He noted that COVID determined whether graduation would be held inside or outside. 

“It’s still up in the air,” Bargeman said. He added that Audi Field helps with logistics, which is a nice benefit of having graduation there. “[DCPS] thought that it worked out so well last year having it there [Audi], that they decided to do it again this year,” Bargeman added. 

Senior Ari Black is neutral on the matter citing the importance of safety of all involved. “I’d rather it be here at the school, but if it [Audi field] ensures the safety of the students and everyone attending then it’s fine,” Black said. 

Kendall Hill is in favor of having graduation at Audi Field and not at Wilson. She appreciates the effort put in by Wilson. “I feel like they care more about us,” Hill said. 

For seniors, graduation will probably be their last memories of Wilson. But with the name change not expected to go into effect until after this year’s graduating class, graduation is expected to be held under the name Woodrow Wilson. Orders for graduation supplies requiring school names have already been submitted. 

“We had to turn in certain things dealing with the graduation like the caps and gowns and everything and we had to give the company the name that we would use,” Bargeman said. 

Wilson also plans to host prom on June 11 at the Culture House, with the theme to be decided by student vote.

Anthony emphasized that they want to make it special for seniors and make sure they enjoy their graduation. “We want it to be good for them,” Anthony said. •