Sub shortage calls for permanent substitutes

Hannah Lahey and Aniset Idriss

In response to a shortage of substitute teachers across DCPS, the District announced a nearly $40 million plan which included assigning schools permanent substitute teachers.

Along with contact tracers and workers to handle COVID logistics, the plan will assign schools a permanent substitute teacher—a substitute dedicated to a single school community for the duration of a school year.

Because the COVID-19 pandemic proved to be a transition point for many teachers, Wilson began the 2021-2022 school year with fewer teachers and substitutes than they had prior to the pandemic. Currently, Wilson only has five daily substitutes—ten less than they had before COVID shut down in-person learning. Assistant Director of Strategy and Logistics at Wilson Cynthia McFarlin says that although some subs have been offered better pay and health benefits, the majority are not coming back because they don’t feel safe working in the school with the current pandemic environment.

Across DCPS, as well as in other jurisdictions, teachers and administrators have faced countless issues regarding the lack of available substitutes. McFarlin says the shortage stems from DCPS policy inhibiting high school administrations from hiring their own substitutes.

“The substitutes are not assigned to a particular school, they are placed in a pool and the jobs are listed daily for them to choose from,” McFarlin said.

With an insufficient number of substitutes and the inability to hire any more, Wilson administrators rely on full-time teachers to fill in for classes.

While some teachers find this situation stressful, others enjoy getting a chance to teach other classes.

For example, chemistry teacher Will Gomaa thinks it’s “helpful to meet students in other contexts.” He likes getting a chance to check in with former students or meet a class of freshmen whom he may teach next year. 

“I don’t mind doing it, so long as it’s my choice,” he said. “I think it’s easier for another Wilson teacher to make sure students are completing their work, as opposed to a substitute from outside the building.”

Gomaa said he’d “never felt pressured by Wilson to have to cover another class.” Chinese teacher Yin Chang echoed this statement, saying that she had complete freedom to accept or decline a sub request.

McFarlin explained that there is currently  a volunteer form set up for teachers who are able to cover other classes. Sometimes, an email is sent out to multiple teachers at once with a request to substitute—but there is always an option to decline.

With an insufficient number of substitutes and the inability to hire any more, Wilson administrators rely on full-time teachers to fill in for classes. DCPS’s plan hopes to alleviate this overload, although Wilson is still waiting on DCPS to hire the substitutes. •