Students complete virtual course selections

Sophie Reeves

The virtual course selection process for the 2021-22 school year has been completed.

Through the Canvas Global Announcement feature, students received a link to the course request page on the Wilson Website on March 22. 

Many resources can be accessed through the link, to aid students in the course selection process. This includes the course list, and the course selection form.

One of those is the 2021-2022 Course Selections Counselor Presentation. This is a Powerpoint presentation dedicated to helping students who prefer auditory instruction.

The High School Course Catalog, a document that lists important prerequisites and course descriptions, is recommended so students can take a look at graduation requirements and past transcripts to ensure that they are on track to graduate.

The course request form is also located on the Wilson website, under the Academics Home Page. 

Upcoming freshmen, sophomores, and juniors have submitted their course request forms to counselors; the form was due April 9. 

“Moving from middle school to high school and being able to choose your classes was an almost exhilarating experience,” said freshman Mailey Rash. “I reviewed the course selection catalogue, and it was very helpful. You’re able to look at the classes and see an example schedule.”

To help students and their parents navigate the process, all counselors are available for twenty minute conferences. 

“My counselor was super helpful, even though it can be an overwhelming process,” sophomore Leah Braden commented. Counselors are helping immensely to guide students in making appropriate and balanced course selections.

Once students have submitted the Student Request Form, they still have the option to consult their counselor to receive additional information or make further adjustments. However, talking to a counselor is not mandatory. 

Sophomore Regine Escher said, “The process was relatively easy this year compared to past years. You didn’t have to talk to anyone if you didn’t want to. I just filled out the form and emailed it to my counselor, that was the end of it.”

Prior to the pandemic, course selections were held in class, with counselors present to assist, answer questions, and remind students of requirements.

The renewal of the 4×4 schedule is changing which courses students are taking. Sophomore Radha Tanner said, “I had to think about which APs I’d be able to remember the content of, a semester after it was taught to me.”

For some, though, they knew they’d have to adapt. “I know I’m going to have a very hard time with that test, having to wait four months since taking that class,” sophomore Tess Belman mentioned.

“But there’s not much I can do about it, and I don’t want it to stop me from taking any APs,” she said.