DCPS schools closed until April 27

Chloe Fatsis and Max Karp

DCPS delayed the return to school to Monday, April 27, according to a DCPS announcement today. In the meantime, students will participate in distance learning.

Teachers have been creating lesson plans for remote learning, which will begin on Tuesday, April 24. In an email sent to the DCPS community, Chancellor Lewis Ferebee wrote in an email today that students can pick up printed packets of work from their schools at specified times throughout the next several days or access all the materials online on the Distance Learning portal, which was launched today. 

“Honestly, I wouldn’t be shocked if we were out until the summer,” junior Jack Wallis said.

Science teacher Dani Moore added that “decision-makers are doing the best they can with the information available at this time, and I’ll do my best to do right by students given the circumstances.” 

To make online resources more accessible for students, “Comcast is offering two months of free service for new, qualifying Internet Essential customers,” Ferebee wrote.

The Distance Learning portal includes resources for every grade and subject in DCPS, and summarizes high school students’ graduation requirements.

“Students are expected to complete their distance learning assignments and check in with teachers during virtual office hours, but will not be penalized if schoolwork is not completed,” Ferebee wrote in an email to the community on March 18.

DCPS will continue to serve meals to students who depend on free or reduced-cost lunch at school. There are now 38 meal sites, and Wilson is set to be added to that list on April 1.