Krafft spearheads hurricane drive

Alex Holmes, Written Content Editor

Hurricane Dorian’s path of destruction left thousands of people displaced, without power, or dead, while carving an infamous place for itself in the hurricane record books. Among those affected were family and friends of Wilson science department chair Danielle Krafft. Her immediate connection to the victims of the category five storm moved her to begin a perishables drive at Wilson.

After the last two major hurricanes, Florence and Maria, Krafft was disappointed by the lack of action. “I think we learned from Hurricane Florence and Hurricane Maria how we kind of didn’t do anything and that was rough because we have friends as well as colleagues who are attached to those places,” Krafft said. She started the drive after being connected to a Wilson alumni who was doing work in the Bahamas via Director of the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism Alex Wilson. 

“I know the beautiful island and what it was and what it is now,” Krafft said. Dorian hit in late August, and Krafft officially started the drive at the beginning of September. She is collecting perishables and other items for the Bahamian embassy in the atrium at the beginning and end of each school day. She and Nurse Grace Echeona are then taking the goods to the Bahamian consulate.

Krafft believes that Wilson is a great place for community outreach programs like hers to prosper. “Students are always reaching out to other communities to see what we can do to better one’s life and one’s lifestyle or experience. I think Wilson’s a breeding ground for awesome reaching out opportunities,” Krafft said.

That motivation to help others becomes a responsibility in her biomedical classes. “Whenever there is a need I want our biomedical students to step up as well as myself. Why are in the health sciences if you don’t want to take it upon oneself to help others in their time of need in terms of responsibility,” Krafft pointed out. 

One of the program’s initiatives is to have every student certified in first aid and CPR training. “It just sets the tone for us to recognize those who are in need,” Krafft added. Two to four biomed students are responsible for running the drive’s table in the atrium. “This is an expectation because you’re not just one of my students. We need to take on a leadership role in our Wilson community.”

Even after the Dorian drive, which ends on October 1st, Krafft wants to continue pushing for more outreach opportunities at Wilson. “So even after all of this is said and done a couple months down the road, hopefully we can make a trip to assist in the relief efforts in the islands, or even the clinics in our local areas,” Krafft said.