Martin asks Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to speak at Wilson graduation ceremony

Elie Salem, Editor-in-Chief

Principal Kimberly Martin asked star freshman congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to be a graduation speaker at Wilson on June 15th via twitter. While the chance of her visiting is unlikely, the prospect greatly excites Wilson students.

Martin’s tweet, sent from her personal twitter account “@dcdredhead,” reads: “@AOC Looking for graduation speakers for @Wilsonhsdcps; largest comprehensive HS in DC. June 15 at DAR Constitution Hall, 10 a.m. Are you free? Would love to have you!”

The tweet was sent on March 22 at 10:25 p.m., and racked up a few likes. The office of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has not yet responded to Martin’s tweet.

Congresswoman Ocasio-Cortez, often referred to by her initials “AOC,” was elected to office at 29 years old, making her the youngest woman elected to congress in history. Her self-described socialist views have made her a darling of the liberal left, a frenemy of the more moderate Democratic establishment, and a bitter enemy of Republicans.

In the District, which is overwhelmingly Democratic, Ocasio-Cortez enjoys widespread support. “I thought she would be a great choice since her message and platform resonates with many Wilson students and families,” Martin said.

While Martin doesn’t believe the probability of Ocasio-Cortez visiting is high, she thinks she would be more open to speaking at graduation than other congresspeople. “It’s pretty unlikely that she will see my tweet or respond, I suspect. But since she is a freshman representative I thought we might have a chance,” said Martin.

Students, when informed by The Beacon of the possibility of Ocasio-Cortez visiting, were extremely supportive. “It would offer a unique opportunity to hear from someone, with novel policy idea and national political influence, who knows how to use social media in a way very few politicians have ever been able to,” said sophomore Tristan May, who worked on a political campaign for the November midterms.

Sophomore Max Wix agreed, stressing Ocasio-Cortez’ youth as a reason for his approval. “[Ocasio-Cortez coming to Wilson] would be really cool she seems like a really inspiring person,” he said. As the youngest women ever in congress she can relate to a majority of the young population, at least a lot more than [older representatives.]”