Jackson-Reed likely to become official name next month

Benjamin Chait, Editor-in-Chief

The DC Council voted to rename Woodrow Wilson High School to Jackson-Reed High School. Since the mayor did not sign off on the Council’s approval, the bill awaits congressional review before becoming official.

Kelly Whittier, Director of Communications and Senior Legislative Aide to Councilmember Mary Cheh, says the bill will likely go into effect on March 19, 2022.

According to Whittier, the congressional review is a standard process typical of all local legislation, and without congressional interference, the bill will go into effect next month.

Interim Principal Gregory Bargeman said that the bill is going through congressional review because Mayor Muriel Bowser declined to sign the bill. Mayor Bowser’s office did not respond when asked to comment by The Beacon.

Wilson currently has no plans to celebrate the new name: Jackson-Reed High School. Changes made will tentatively take place over the summer. “Once the name changes, we have to change the name throughout the building. Hopefully, that will happen over the summer and when we start next year hopefully everybody will be going to Jackson-Reed High School,” Bargeman said. 

Graduation this year, Bargeman adds, will not reflect the name change, meaning that the class of 2022 will graduate from Woodrow Wilson High School. 

The school is, however, in contact with Paula B. Duckett, the niece of Edna Jackson. Bargeman mentioned that the school has arranged to contact her upon the redesignation so that “she can provide some insight and information” about her aunt, which could inform the school’s messaging to the student body next year. •