$985
$1500

Prom fashion: do’s and don’ts

Whether they’re enchanted forest or night in Paris themed, prom dresses are always judged by those who are not invited (us). We are here to give you our two cents on the dos and don’ts of prom trends.

A recent trend that has recently come under scrutiny is the new brunch dress spectacle. These dresses include non-formal floral dresses and typically some sort of lace detail; basically they look like something that would be worn to lunch with your grandma. Personally, we feel as though those dresses should be reserved for, you know, brunch, but they are being displayed at the fashion event of the year. 

On the topic of dresses, let’s discuss neon dresses. Or should we say the highlighters? While this trend is different from the brunch dress idea, we can clearly see that different doesn’t always mean better. Shining brighter than anyone else in a room means a night filled with neon photo bombers and replacing the disco lighting with their illuminating color. 

Another prom controversy is the shoes. Showing up in a pair of mud-covered black converse or white AirForce Ones may be acceptable for a school day, but this occasion involves a more delicate touch. The only choices are kitten heels or block heels. Past proms have conformed to a higher standard of heels, but unfortunately recent proms have shown a shift away from elegant shoes and towards those which are “ready for a reno func”. 

Although shoes have massively evolved in recent years, the photo locale has remained EXACTLY the same. The idea of taking prom photos at the monuments is one that has simply been overdone (not saying we won’t do it) but it’s no surprise when it appears on millions of Instagram posts. Although it’s comforting to have past presidential leaders looking down on seniors as they mark a final moment in their high school career, the common spot’s marble flooring is chipping away from the annual trampling of high heels. 

All in all, have fun at prom but please listen to our warnings. We are not only trying to help you personally, but also the overall Jackson-Reed prom aesthetic.