$985
$1500

National Signing Day: A surprising twist with the former first lady Michelle Obama

The inaugural National Signing Day at Capitals One Arena was packed with so many athletes ready to sign their scholarships. The event included many notable guests, from DC Mayor Muriel Bowser, the Washington Wizards, and best of all, former First Lady Michelle Obama. 

“Now I appreciate the other guests for coming, but Michelle Obama was like the main event. She was THE BEST,” said senior Alexandria Sutherland, who was one of the many who had the opportunity to witness the former First Lady in person. “It shocked me that she actually showed up. She did make a long speech but her words were so impactful and motivational. I felt like she really cared.” 

In her speech, Obama encouraged the students to “continue to evolve even when it’s hard.” The First Lady greatly emphasized the importance of young generations to their community, as she explained that youth’s energy, ideas, and perspectives are essential in helping to build a more “just and equal nation.”

She also commended the students for their perseverance through the COVID-19 pandemic. Despite not being able to enjoy the typical high school experience, Obama celebrated the students’ journey and the way they “pushed through” and “buckled down” and are now ready to graduate. “Look, on a day when so much is about looking ahead, I just want to take a little moment to look back with you all,” she said. “Because I know it has been a long, hard road for all of you to make it to this day, and [there] has been nothing normal about this journey, especially that your class has been through.”

Obama’s message deeply resonated with the crowd and, once again, reminded the students of their strengths, resilience, and drive. As students head into college, new possibilities are presented, as well as obstacles, but as the First Lady said, they can achieve anything they put their minds to.