$985
$1500

The unseen impact of code-switching

Code-switching, the practice of transitioning from one’s cultural colloquialism into a standard dialect (usually determined by the dominant group), is common and often feels necessary. This practice exists all the way from businesses to academics. 

“Code-switching has affected my life in many capacities,”  shared Bryce Freeman, Jackson-Reed’s student body president. “Yesterday, during my Harvard interview, I had to try my best not to use African-American Vernacular English (AAVE) and instead sound proper to appease a white audience.”

Often, code-switching is used as a survival tactic to avoid judgment and microaggressions. Other times, it is used to open inaccessible doors based on skin color and background, or  display  professionalism. However, professionalism is a standard of characteristics that displays one’s ability to be hardworking, responsible, dependable, goal-oriented, cooperative, and more.

“Code-switching became second nature to me,” confessed Melissa Bracey, an American Automotive Policy Council lobbyist. After her experience on Capitol Hill, she found, “Sadly, in order for me to get to the next level in my career, code-switching had to ease back into my life.”

Professionalism should not be confused with code-switching. For instance, most would recognize the inherent racism present in requiring or expecting Black women to wear their hair in “white” styles. However, even this practice continues. According to a 2023 study, Black women are 54% more likely to feel they must wear their hair straight to a job interview to be successful. Black women with coiled textured hair are twice as likely to experience microaggressions in a professional setting than Black women with straight hair.

During my internship at Howard University School of Law, I was so shocked to find that even at a historically Black university, I felt pressured to wear my hair straightened, like most girls there. Just as I should not be required to imitate the appearance of white people to be “professional”, I should not have to imitate white language either.

However, not everyone agrees. Lucas Sekasi, the JR boys’ basketball team’s point guard, shared, “Code-switching is the ability to use multiple ways to express yourself, your vocabulary…being aware of where you are, and who you are around, because if you don’t code switch, some people may perceive it in a certain way that you don’t want to be perceived.”

Dr. Coates, the daughter of the first Black woman to graduate from the University of Maryland, states: “I think code-switching is a derogatory term. I don’t care if you are professional, whoever you are, I think you should be able to speak to people to their comfort level if you want to be able to communicate well.”

However, has anyone ever acknowledged the fact that the dialect of the dominant group relies heavily on AAVE? This is directly argued in articles such as, “Nobody Mean More to Me” by June Jordan and “If Black English Isn’t a Language, Then Tell Me, What Is?” by James Baldwin.

Tracing back to when Black people weren’t even considered humans, we keep failing to recognize the value of Black English. Can’t I be Black while working? Why can’t I look Black? Why can’t I sound Black? 

I’m here to say, stay Black and protect your magic.