$255
$700

College Pulls Apart Twin Sisters

BY KATE STOKES, CONTRIBUTOR Nothing is easy about the stressful and demanding college acceptance process. Along with the strenuous preparation, leaving family and friends for prolonged periods of time is a concern for many– but particularly those who have spent their lives together since day one.

Seniors Maddy and Hannah Taub are preparing themselves for many aspects of college life, one being the absence of each other. These fraternal twins have been by each other’s sides through every first day of school until now, but it is a change to which both are willing to acclimate.

Despite being exposed to similar experiences growing up, the Taubs found themselves interested in entirely different colleges. Between the two, there was only a single overlap between prospective schools. While Maddy chose to remain close to home at Georgetown University, by the end of the summer Hannah will be more than 2,000 miles away from her hometown, attending the University of Oregon.

Hannah preferred a college with a lively sports scene that she could view from the stands  Maddy, on the other hand, wanted an environment where she could participate in the action; she has been practicing and teaching tae-kwon-do for 10 years and will continue at Georgetown, both at the same studio and on the Georgetown team. The two also disagreed on the idea of attending college together. Hannah didn’t mind attending together but Maddy was opposed.

To some twins, it can be important to attend separate colleges in order to avoid being constantly linked or compared to one another. According to USA Today, there is a “cultural bias” for twins to separate, as it is sometimes difficult to be completely autonomous as a twin, and going to separate colleges can promote independence. Being a twin leaves room for comparison with “everything from personality to grades,” says Maddy. The college process can be a chance for twins to become officially independent, no matter how different from each other they already are.

Despite their differences, both Maddy and Hannah are in complete agreement that visiting one another is essential. Although they could “never be roommates” for a school year, short visits whenever possible are important to their relationship. Both believe that being farther apart will ironically “bring [them] closer” as sisters. Though distance may separate the pair, the bond that they share as twins is stronger than the stress of two busy college semesters.

$255
$700