$985
$1500

Farewell Class of 2024

Samuel Lee

Investigation, art, reporting, medicine—the diverse passions of our senior class are nothing short of impressive. As we bid farewell to the class of 2024, it’s clear that Jackson-Reed has nurtured a remarkable group of future leaders and innovators.

Despite the obstacles of online classes freshman year, pandemic limitations, and multiple principals, the graduates still managed to overcome, grow, and attend some of the most prestigious universities in the nation. 

Kiley Hatcher is a prime example. Hatcher plans to attend the United States Military Academy at West Point, where she will “learn to be an officer and a good leader.” Although she plans to serve as an Army officer for five years, as required by West Point, she ultimately plans to major in international relations and minor in Arabic. “I am thinking of doing intelligence or becoming a Ranger.” JR staff was the most impactful motivator in her drive to attend West Point. “My favorite teacher Mr. Martineau helped me a lot with my application and was a huge part of my success. I have had him for two years and he has always been super supportive,” Hatcher said.

Along with military superstars, Maisie Derlega, a Google for Doodle finalist, will attend the University of Michigan this fall. She remarked on the importance of her experience “working with and on the Beacon, being able to start a magazine, and just overall helping spread a creative voice.” Derlega will be majoring in art and design, crediting teachers Alia Hasan, Avram Lubliner-Walters, and Matthew Burgoyne for being “so incredible and supportive. They were some of the highlights of my high school years.”

Following an artistic post-high school path, Rowan Ban-Goodrich will attend Pratt Institute in Brooklyn. Science teacher Hallie Baskin was a huge supporter of their creative journey. “She hired me to paint the mural in her baby boy’s nursery. It was such a rewarding and amazing experience. I love her deeply.” Ban-Goodrich appreciates the several teachers and classes at Jackson-Reed, noting it as their inspiration to pursue fine arts and literature collegiately.

Bronwen Holmes will attend the University of Texas at Austin, a coxswain for the nation’s top rowing program. She credited JR sports with transforming her drive to become a D1 recruit. During her tenure, Holmes has garnered two national titles and placed in regional regattas across the East Coast. “[Without joining] my sophomore year men’s crew team, I would not be going to [UofT].” Holmes plans on pursuing a career in college sports, hoping to enter into coaching or business. Hook ‘em!

Varsity soccer player and Beacon News Editor Natalie Gordon found her passion in journalism. Gordon discovered inspiration and support in her AP Comparative Government class, where Robert Geremia “did a really good job teaching the class and pushed me to find excitement in school.” Along with Geremia’s motivation, Gordon’s work on the school’s newspaper shaped her passion for journalism. “Living in such a social-political setting with ongoing conversations has helped me grow my ability to write about current events for the Beacon.” Gordan will hone her reporting skills at Northwestern University next fall.

Anari Shivers plans to major in cosmetology at Ballou Stay University and credits JR for helping her realize her passion. Shivers dreams of a future in cosmetology—a business that would allow her to travel, style hair, and take photos. “There is more to the world than just being stuck doing the same routine every day and not feeling like I am getting anywhere. Going to the biggest [public] high school in DC has shown me more cultures and personalities,” Shivers says.

Another JR standout is Jannat Dbilij. Among her passion for basketball and her time spent as the team manager, Dbilij dreams of pursuing an ambitious medical path. “In the future, I hope to work with children and provide medicine for the less fortunate. I also hope to create an organization and go on humanitarian trips to save lives.”

As all 449 walk across that stage at the Entertainment and Sports Arena, we celebrate the achievements of every single one of them. We wish them the best in their pursuits in college and beyond. Be sure to take your Tiger pride everywhere you go!