Tiger Talk! Q&A with Connor McMichael

Natalie Gordon, News Editor

This month’s athlete is Connor McMichael. McMichael is a professional hockey player for DC’s very own Washington Capitals. McMichael is a center, and was selected as the 25th pick overall in the first round of the 2019 NHL Draft at which time he signed a three year, entry-level contract. During the 2020-2021 season McMichael was sent to the Hershey Bears, Washington’s AHL team but after training camp, he was back on the roster for the 2021-2022 season and continues to be on the roster. McMichael was born in 2001 and grew up in Ontario, Canada where he played youth hockey for the OJHL (Ontario Junior Hockey League).

Q. What would you say to your high school self if they could see you right now?

A. I would say just keep pushing through all the objects that stand in your way and just keep your head high and go after what you want.

Q. What lessons did you learn as a high school athlete do you still use today – whether in your sport or outside of it?

A. I guess when I was younger, I learned team camaraderie– just being around the guys– and how to build relationships that last forever and that’s something that I cherish. I took a lot from that and that’s when I started to turn into an adult.

Q. Was there ever a time in your life when you felt like giving up on your sport, and how did you overcome that?

A. No [there was never a time] for me honestly, I’ve always wanted to play hockey and that’s been my goal.

Q. What has been the greatest challenge for you while adjusting to a career as a professional athlete?

A. Probably just getting use to the lifestyle, playing every other day and trying to take care of your body has been an adjustment. When you’re younger, you can kind of get away with those things, but up here you’re playing every other day, so you got to take care of your body.

Q. Being from Canada, do you think your youth sports experience was different from your American teammates?

A. Yeah probably, I don’t think high school sports there [in Canada] is as good. I hear a lot of cool American high school football stories, so I for sure missed out on that. •