“Don’t say period” law is harmful and dangerous

Lolera Tesema, Opinions Editor

It wasn’t enough for Floridians to eliminate LGBTQ+ education or to censor the AP African American Studies curriculum; now they’re trying to ban discussions of women’s health.

The menstrual cycle is an integral part of female anatomy, being a natural process that affects the lives of millions of women every single day. It is crucial that young people are educated about menstruation as part of their sexual education. 

However, Florida lawmakers are currently attempting to pass a bill that would ban any instruction, discussion, or questioning of menstrual cycles in schools before the sixth grade. This proposed bill is not only illogical, it is a violation of fundamental human rights that continues the long-standing oppression of women in our society. 

The fact that young women can begin menstruating as early as eight years old means that it is important that they receive comprehensive education about the menstrual cycle before middle school. As a woman, I have nothing but anger at the thought that students are going to be denied essential information about their physical health. 

This is not just a matter of sexual education but one of basic health and well-being. Young girls who do not receive this education will not only grow to feel ashamed or embarrassed of their bodies, but they may also be at greater risk of health complications later in life. 

When girls go to the bathroom and find blood on their underwear, most likely thinking to themselves that they’re dying, who can they turn to for help? Certainly not teachers, who (once again) could face disciplinary action simply for helping a child. 

This bill also perpetuates a lack of awareness among boys in regards to women’s health. If they see menstruation as something so bad that its discussion goes against the law, it sets a precedent for them to approach periods with disgust and immaturity. This only promotes dated taboos about women that we face heavily in today’s society.

It is appalling that after all these years of fighting for women’s rights such a misogynistic stigma can still be so openly expressed. Forcing this stigma upon children, who are going through a challenging period of self-discovery, is nothing short of disgusting.