A love-hate letter to JR’s newest additions

Francesca Purificato, Managing Editor

For those members of the Jackson-Reed community that haven’t had the pleasure of experiencing our new trailers, I’m here to paint you a picture. 

After hearing so much commotion over the new trailers (both through word of mouth and through the machines building them outside of my classrooms) I was a little frightened when I found out one of my second semester classes was to be moved. Surprised to discover that some teachers were excited about the move, I couldn’t say the same for myself. 

Believe me when I say the trailers live by the motto “rain or shine”. Regardless of bare sky, wind, sleet or snow, I have to drag myself down the stairs (exiting what once was the beloved Beacon office) and walk the dreaded 20 yards to my next class. I feel the cold air hit my face as I’m greeted with an unforgiving metal fence that really resembles a cage. 

When I get inside I walk past a metal detector (not through, past) and into my classroom. The room itself is not bad, lacking the random burgundy wall of course, but not bad. It’s fairly sizable, and boasts the classic whiteboard-smartboard combo. In terms of the bathroom situation, I’ve only been once and there was no toilet paper. Like anywhere. Never went back after that. 

My classroom is nearest to the trailer entrance and I’ve never dared to explore the others down the short gray hallway. At the end of the hallway sits another ominous set of double doors, which if opened sounds a blaring alarm…I learned that the hard way. 

When my class is over and the school day is finished I walk out of the trailer and escort myself down a loud metal ramp. One might think to go out of the door in the fence just outside the trailers. Think again. Opening it will result in yet another blaring alarm. 

My opinion on the trailers is, on the outside, the sight and the thought of them is annoying, ugly even. But on the inside it’s not as bad as you might think, and it definitely has upsides. Sure, the brown box look doesn’t exactly add to the curb appeal, but the heat and air conditioning work. Sure, the walk over is annoying, but if it can provide a temporary solution to not having enough classrooms, then I can live with it.