The importance of self care in difficult times

Lolera Tesema, Opinions Editor

It’s so easy to lose oneself in these challenging circumstances, with everything going on: Covid 19 for the previous two years, countless losses, war, and distancing. Although each student’s and teacher’s experiences are different and distinct, many of them have been struggling with self care. Many variables, like mental health issues, might negatively impact your life and mental state as a result of the pandemic; the stress of school has grown unbearable for many of us to keep pushing.

Taking care of your body by meditating, taking deep breaths, and getting plenty of rest are some strategies to look after yourself. Getting adequate sleep is critical as it aids in our recovery from both mental and physical exhaustion. As sleep deprivation increases the risk of poor health, it’s recommended that you receive at least 6-8 hours of sleep every day. Being able to exercise as much as possible or moving your body on a daily basis is beneficial not just to your physical health but also to your mental health, since it keeps your mind active and reduces negative emotions. Keeping your social life up by interacting with family and friends, spending some time with them, can give a boost to your mental health as well. It’s critical to realize that your health should always take precedence over anything else, especially work. 

You can balance self care with school work by simply setting time for yourself and giving yourself a break from time to time. If you have a difficult test coming up, take maybe a 10 minute break in between your studies. If you’re stressed about any upcoming games or events, set a day for yourself to relax, gather yourself, and prepare. Another excellent way to balance the 2 priorities is by building a consistent routine and planning your schedule. 

Ignoring how you’re truly feeling or any signals that your mental health isn’t doing well is doing would make it worse. Because academics are frequently prioritized over personal concerns, especially by students and mentors, it is critical that we understand when to take a break for ourselves. Self-care is essential for one’s mental and emotional well-being. It guarantees that people devote time to their own requirements, such as being well and scheduling time for leisure and fun activities. We may become overwhelmed or so preoccupied with work and our future that we forget to live in the present moment and take a step back, balancing our school life with our own. Staff and students may try dealing with these tactics at home, in their cars, or really any time they have to themselves as there are many ways to improve your health.