Eating at every restaurant in Tenleytown: here’s what I learned

Luther Hoy, Junior Editor

Spanning seven blocks with over 25 restaurants, the Tenleytown eating scene overwhelms you with options. Is the convenience of the nearby Wawa worth the 3:30 mob of hungry students? What if you’re dying for a taco, but can’t choose between the five Mexican restaurants? How is the Z-Burger making enough money to pay rent, despite seemingly always being empty? Well, I can’t help you solve that mystery. However, after eating at pretty much every single Tenleytown restaurant over my seventeen years, I can confidently give you the top five restaurants you cannot miss. 

1. Masala Art

Despite being the last restaurant in my final stretch to quickly but thoroughly eat at (yes, The Beacon did affect my eating and spending habits for the past week), Masala Art soared its way to fifth place. Its incredible flavors and dishes mean that any indecisive or inexperienced Indian food eater will end up with a great dish no matter what. I am typically not a samosa guy. However, I consumed about three samosas during family dinner and left no crumbs. I thoroughly enjoyed Masala Art and will be eating here again. 

1. Bandit Taco

Good ol’ bandit, or should I say, good new bandit? Opened in 2019, Bandit is the second newest restaurant on this list, and debatably the most popular amongst the off-campus lunch population at Jackson-Reed, which is no surprise. Bandit is cheap (especially on their Taco Tuesday), fast, and well, yummy. Their tofu tacos are to die for, especially when covered in lime juice. Their environment is incredibly welcoming and friendly, and it’s such a landmark of the Tenleytown community that any outsider could believe it’s been there for decades! Even though they once mistakenly gave me fish tacos (never forgiving them for that), Bandit holds strong and is incredibly worthy of fourth place. 

1. Guapo’s

Classic Guapo’s. Perfect Mexican family sit down. I can’t recall a part of my life before going to Guapo’s. I practically grew up here. Their tortilla-making machines left me mesmerized as I would stare through the glass for perhaps hours. I engulf their chips and salsa every time, forcing the waiter to bring our family double. You can’t go wrong with Mexican, and Guapo’s is no exception. It sets a high bar for any competing local restaurants. With an incredible atmosphere and stellar dishes, Guapo’s is clearly a third place contender.

1. Seoul Spice 

Yup, Seoul Spice is second, and I mean, who’s surprised? With a build-your-own format, if you don’t like Seoul Spice, it’s your fault. It’s such a unique eating experience, and should never be overlooked. I love how one of the things on the menu is titled “The Egg” as if it isn’t just a mere egg, and I love how I fall for its mystery and add it to my order every time.  So much style, so much flavor, and so much Seoul Spice. This was my favorite place for a very very long time, but it has been successfully beaten by the one and only…

1. Roaming Rooster

I remember when I was showing my friends early drafts of this list and everyone saying “Luther, you put Roaming Rooster first???” and I would always respond, “Oh no no, the list isn’t in order yet,” but now, I’m not afraid to speak my truth. I’m coming out and saying it, Roaming Rooster is the best restaurant in Tenleytown. Only just joining us in 2021 and neighboring our fateful second place, it trampled its competition and set the tone for what chicken can be. I get the Honey Butter Chicken sandwich with Honey Mustard and a side of fries with extra Honey Mustard, every single time. Maybe I’m consuming too much honey but you don’t understand what they put into that stuff: it’s addicting. If you haven’t already, I would suggest you roam over to Roaming Rooster (get it?) •