Winter play spotlight: Girls Like That

Norah Caplan, Sports Editor

The Jackson-Reed theater department’s next must-see Players production, “Girls Like That,” is coming to the Black Box stage on February 9, 10, and 11. 

The show follows high school senior Scarlett and the group of classmates she has known since kindergarten. A nude photo of Scarlett gets released online and starts circling around the school. The play follows Scarlett and her peers’ journey to self-acceptance as many student’s shame her for her appearance. 

Throughout the show, the audience sees the disparities between the girls’ and boys’ reactions to the event, providing insight into the many obstacles high school girls deal with. The production takes the audience through a relatable high school experience about the effects of bullying on teenagers. 

The show has a powerful message that portrays insecurities and angst in a clear and relatable light. Director Clarissa Shirley is making her Jackson-Reed theater debut with this production and believes that the students bring something very special to the show. 

“Students at Jackson-Reed have a really good sense of their identity and how they want to express themselves,” Shirley explained. “Because that’s a lot of what the play is about, it’s really great to see that translate to their characters.” 

Many students taking part in this production also feel like the school’s community adds to the show’s unique charm. Sophomore Will Carlyle-Dadson explained that the theater department is putting a lot of work into the production and that the actors help to make it a memorable experience. Carlyle-Dadson said that everyone should “support Jackson-Reed! It’s going to be fun to watch, it’s a good play, [and] we put a lot of time and effort into it.”

Seniors Ellie Mandell and Talia Moraru echo the importance of the play. Mandell is co-stage manager for “Girls Like That” and believes that everyone can learn something from the play. She emphasizes that “the play is a very impactful show and it teaches everyone that gets to see it a lesson.”

This production will be Moraru’s seventh at Jackson-Reed and she is excited to be a part of a show that spreads these motivational messages. Moraru helped the theater department decide to put on “Girls Like That.” She wanted Jackson-Reed to take part in it because “the content was super relevant to students and the female experience is really applicable whether it’s about insecurity, body shaming, etc.”

“Girls Like That” is a production that you do not want to miss. Postpone your plans, clear your weekend, and be sure to come out to see it. •