Jackson-Reed Hockey Team has a successful start to the season

Angelina Payz-Peña, Contributor

The Jackson-Reed Ice Hockey team has started its season. Separate from the school, the team is a part of the DC Stars organization, which allows students attending DC high schools the opportunity to play in the Maryland Student Hockey League.

With the fresh new start of DC Stars and the season running almost year round, the team finds themselves with limited and fast-paced practices.

The team’s chemistry and perseverance has paid off on the ice, earning participation in the playoffs that go through January. So far, Junior Varsity has passed the first round and the Varsity team has also dominated their first round. 

Coach Brett emphasizes his pride, “Both the Varsity and Junior Varsity teams have worked so hard all year long and the dedication has shown. Both squads are better teams than they were at the beginning of the season and that’s really a testament to the hard work on and off the ice this season.”

With the only public rink in DC, Fort Dupont Ice Area, expected to close this upcoming spring, the team is left without a location to practice within a reasonable radius. Coach Brett has advice for the team’s fellow classmates, “I encourage every student to stop by the rink to see what our talented classmates are capable of as they continue to progress in both the current playoffs, and future.” •