Basketball star Robert Dockery signs on with Texas A&M

Zach Isaacs, Sports Editor

Rob Dockery, a star of Jackson-Reed basketball, has committed to play at Texas A&M. Dockery chose the Aggies over offers from Virginia Tech, Maryland, and Georgia, among others. The junior forward has averaged 14 points, six rebounds, and two steals per game through the first 20 games of the season. 

Dockery says that the recruiting process was all about communication.   

“The process was definitely stressful. It’s a hard decision because it is my future. Texas A&M constantly showed that they cared, contacting me, letting me know that I was a priority. I felt the love on the visit and I know I can work well in the system that they have.”

It’s not new for Dockery to be in the spotlight. As a sophomore during the 2021-22 season, the team relied upon him, along with current Virginia Tech player and 2022 Gatorade Player of the Year, Darren Buchanan Jr. Dockery had many big games, such as his 20-point DCIAA championship performance. Now, as a junior and four-star recruit, Dockery’s hard work and dominating presence on the court has earned him the attention he deserves. 

Despite being a junior, Dockery will have to transfer at the end of the year because of his status as a re-classed player. With that being said, many have expressed their opinion that the current team is Jackson-Reed’s best in years and the time for a DCSAA state championship is now. 

“Rob stepping up into the leader role this year is something I always knew he would do,” says Buchanan Jr. “I always would tell him that he has to dominate…and to see him doing that this year at such a high level is amazing. The main thing for him now is to find ways to make the game easier for himself and his teammates, which I know he will continue to do with so many great players around him.” 

Coach David “Tee” Johnson has similar praise for the forward: “Rob has grown into a more complete player with Jun (Buchanan Jr.) in college. He’s a better rebounder and has become better at converting second chance points…as far as Texas A&M, they reached out to learn more about Rob as a person and I told them the truth. He’s a hardworking kid and a great player.”

With all eyes on him, Dockery is bound to feel some weight off his shoulders knowing that he has committed to a Power 5 program. Under Dockery’s leadership, the Tigers will be a team to watch in the coming weeks. •