Mr. Thompson is Jackson-Reed’s tech guru

Daniel Marks, Senior Layout Editor

Each year the students and teachers of Jackson-Reed become more dependent on technology in the new era of digital learning. But have we ever stopped to ask who keeps school devices running?

David Thompson, known by many students and teachers as “the tech guy,” has been a 30-year DCPS veteran. Born and raised in Adams Morgan, Thompson was a student at Oyster, Alice Deal, and our very own Jackson-Reed (formerly Wilson). 

As a second grader, Mr. Thompson decided he wanted to become a teacher. In middle school, he was a self-proclaimed “geek,” being part of the Audio Visual Club (aka AV Squad). He went on to attend Georgia Tech where his interest in technology would only expand.

“I really like working with the bigger picture, helping more teachers be better problem solvers.” When he gets the teaching bug you’ll find him covering classes for long periods of time; this year, it’s Algebra 2.  

If he isn’t covering for a class or helping us with our tech problems, he spends his spare time working on his family farm out in West Virginia where he grows blueberries and lavender, makes trails, and runs an Airbnb with his wife.  

While in Tenleytown however, he is a lover of Guapos and an avid patron of Panera Bread

Many students might remember Thompsons’ iconic beard (and beard-mask) he sported last school year. When asked why he decided to shave it, he described it as a “COVID beard” that his wife had him shave for his daughter’s recent wedding. 

Through thick and thin, Mr. Thompson has been a vital cog that has kept the wheels of Jackson-Reed spinning. •