The dilemma of tech in school: problems with post-pandemic instruction

Kavita O’Malley, Opinions Editor

Technology is melting my brain and it feels like there is nothing I can do about it. 

Prior to quarantine, organizations like the Boone Center had done research on the negative effects of technology on our minds and our emotions. Unfortunately, when we went into quarantine, there was little we could do without devices. For the past two years, students have spent nearly every waking moment on a screen. In addition to social media, which had been prevalent before COVID, we started attending school, doing work, and communicating with friends mostly—if not entirely—online. Now, our lives have mostly returned to ‘normal’. But one thing that hasn’t changed is the amount of time we spend on screens. 

Even though we are no longer in ‘virtual school’, we still spend most of our days on screens. As opposed to sitting on a computer alone, we sit in a room full of other people who are also on their computers. This reliance on screens is starting to affect me. 

Most days, by the time I get to second period, I have a headache, my eyes strain to concentrate, I struggle to retain information, and my attention span has significantly deteriorated.

The dilemma of how to balance the role of technology in our education is a complicated one. On the one hand, science has strongly suggested that the overuse of screens, particularly by young people, can be detrimental to our health and can even physically alter our brains. Additionally, using technology so much in school might affect our understanding and retention of information. I can’t speak for everyone, but I struggle to follow readings online. PDF versions of books often make it harder for me to really absorb the material I am reading.  

However, the flip side is that technology can facilitate the learning process and is theoretically better for the environment. Students no longer receive 8 million photocopies in every class, and group projects through Google Docs are significantly easier to execute. 

Of course, the irony of all of this is that I am currently sitting here with a throbbing headache writing this article on my computer about how my computer is giving me a headache.

The unfortunate truth is that almost nothing we do today can happen without a device. Whether you’re working on math homework, an overdue English essay, college applications, or newspaper production, it is almost certain that you will need a computer. Sadly, this means that no matter how much your head hurts or how tired your eyes are, it is nearly impossible to catch a break. This also means that I don’t really have a solution to the issue of technology overuse. All I can say is that we need to give ourselves a break sometimes to let our brains rest. •