Rival Review! GDS

Francesca Purificato and Rebecca Green

With a quick drive down Wisconsin, we crossed the threshold into a completely different world: private school. Well-known for being a rival and also a neighbor, Georgetown Day School (GDS) was our first stop on what will be a year-long journey of tours around DC’s most notorious private schools. 

We walked in and were greeted with a forum full of students eating lunch and abandoned backpacks. Students were self-separated by grade with clear boundaries and no exceptions. Instead of a bustling cafeteria there was a small “internet cafe” with a handful of tables, vending machines (that accept apple pay), and no lines in sight. Unfortunately we weren’t able to try the food from the internet cafe, but do not fret- Pizza Boli’s was there to save the day, selling pizza for the students to enjoy. On top of that, there was a place for food delivery drivers to leave students whatever lunch their heart desired.

Next, we made our way to the library where we found a seating area, books of course, a newspaper stand that included a mediocre school paper, and a fancy librarian-less self-checkout for students.

Then we took an elevator (which students casually use) to the basement in order to check out the sports facilities. Not going to lie, the weight room was impressive, with top-notch equipment, from dumbbells to spin bikes, overlooking the basketball court. Across from the weight room was a “wrestling room” with a turf ground and more exercise equipment. The basketball court was pretty but nothing special, though it had an ode to years of championships plastered on the wall. 

We saw everything from the chemistry lab to the stairwell, but nothing really stood out. And while we were rushing back to make it on time to third period, many GDS students could afford to take their time, as all students are encouraged to have multiple free periods.

While some aspects of the $45,000 a year tuition stood out in both the facilities and social culture, there was no resounding presence that set GDS apart from the rest. •