How to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month in DC

Nora Parsons, Written Content Editor

DC will celebrate Hispanic Heritage month through the parade of nations filled with colors and culture. Jackson-Reed will join the celebration by hosting fun events and announcements brought to students and staff by the Union Latin@. 

Nicole Franco, president of the Union Latin@, wants to “have fun and give a voice to all Hispanic and Latin kids who may feel silenced at times at Jackson-Reed.” For her, these weeks are about bringing awareness to smaller Hispanic countries, different Hispanic cultures, and Hispanic history—a history that wasn’t celebrated in the US until half a century ago. 

In 1968, Congressman George E. Brown took the floor to propose a resolution which would establish the week of September 15 as Hispanic Heritage Week. He reasoned, “it is in the tradition of our country to recognize, cherish and conserve the many cultural contributions of the people who have helped achieve the greatness of our nation.”

During this week, Latin American countries such as Costa Rica, Mexico, Chile, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Guatemala, and Honduras celebrate their independence. Then, on August 17, 1988, President Reagan enacted Hispanic Heritage Month, a 30-day period starting September 15, into law.

In DC, Hispanic Heritage Month is celebrated through parades and parties. Those unable to make these events can watch documentaries such as “Latino Americans,” a PBS docu-series, or read a book, like “The Devil’s Highway: A True Story,” about the journey of 26 immigrants across the border. They can even watch Disney classics such as “Coco” and “Encanto.” 

For non-Hispanic students Nicole suggests they show “their support this month by taking the time and effort to actually learn about the different countries and try not to assume students or anyones motherland.”•