Disregard for special ed has to end

Isabelle Posner-Brown, Section Copy Editor

The start of school is stressful for any student here at Jackson-Reed, but for the 11% enrolled in special education courses, a smooth start to the year is essential. Unfortunately, these students are often the least likely to get the support they deserve.

Individualized Education Plans (IEPs) contain a variety of tools that provide students with services that fit their specific needs. However, based on my family’s experience, despite its best intentions, the special education department at Jackson-Reed, like so many others, doesn’t always have the resources or staff needed to implement these strategies. 

In 1975, Congress passed the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act, which stated that federal dollars would be directed to covering the cost of meeting students’ IEPs. Yet 50 years later, this federal funding has consistently fallen short. Federal law requires free and appropriate accommodations for children with disabilities. However, according to educational advocates such as the National Education Association, government funding doesn’t even account for 15% of special education costs at the average school, leaving already underfunded school districts to cover the rest. The government committed to pay 40% of the costs of every special education student. However, in 2020, the figure stood at 13%. 

In addition to a lack of funding, special education students also suffer from pronounced staffing gaps. There continues to be a shortage of special education teachers in classrooms, which puts an unfair amount of stress on those who remain. According to Soeonline, Forty-eight states and the District of Columbia lack special education teachers, and Jackson-Reed is no exception. In fact, special education teachers leave their jobs at almost double the rate of general education teachers. 

We need to start supporting the students and staff in our special education department by advocating against the lack of funding provided to school districts. Despite the fact that IEPs are legally binding documents, many school districts don’t have the resources to fulfill them, leaving schools in a precarious position. Our leaders need to be held accountable for their lack of support. I encourage us all to speak out to create change.